Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

DVD Review - Loves of a Blonde

I am a big fan of Milos Forman and I have seen all of his English language films. I recently saw him at The New Yorker Festival and I thought that it is now time to check out his early Czech language films.

Loves of a Blonde is the alternately sad and funny story of Andula (Hana Brejchova) who lives in a small town in Communist Czechoslovakia. She works in a shoe factory and lives in a dorm with other women who work with her. There are very few men in the town and things get kind of lonely.

Andula and her friends go out for a night on the "town" and meet three soldiers. Actually, it takes some time for them to meet because the soldiers are very shy. This scene in which they try to muster up the nerve to meet the women is very funny. But Andula is more interested in the pianist who is playing at the club that night. His name is Milda (Vladimir Pucholt) and he is not a nice guy. He can tell just how lonely she is and he seduces her. Because of certain things in her past, which are only hinted at, Andula falls in love with Milda after spending only one night with him.

Several weeks pass and Andula does not hear from Milda. So she decides to visit him in Prague, which is where he lives. When she arrives Milda is not home but his parents are and they are not very happy to make her acquaintance (to say the least) . Milda is out playing piano and also just playing around (if you know what I mean). When he arrives home he is quite surprised to see her. His father (Josef Sebanek) is somewhat tolerant. But his mother (Milada Jezkova) will not allow them to sleep together and insists on alternate sleeping arrangements. I won't say what these arrangements are but I will say that you will not be able to stop laughing when you see how they work out.

Many of the actors are non-professionals but you would never know it from the way they carry themselves. Everyone (professional and non-professional) is right on target. Although the film has a lot of humor it also has pathos. I really felt for Andula and I understood where she was coming from. Brejchova has a very expressive face and her Andula cannot hide her pain.

I should also mention that this little gem is in glorious black and white. With this film Forman gives us a hint of what is to come in his career (there is an interesting interview with him on the DVD). He may not make many films but you know that when he makes one it will be high quality. Do yourself a favor and rent this film. You won't be sorry that you did.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home