Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

DVD Review - Disco Pigs

I had wanted to see this little Irish film for quite some time and I finally saw it today. Disco Pigs is based on play and is very dark and strange love story.

Darren aka Pig (Cillian Murphy) and Sinead aka Runt are born just a few minutes apart in a Dublin hospital. They live next store to each other and are almost attached at the hip. You might say that they are soul twins. They are approaching their seventeenth birthday and it is apparent that their relationship is growing unhealthier by the day. In flashbacks we see that Runt's father (Brendan O'Byrne) is a brutal alcoholic but we also see that Pig displays some very violent behavior of his own. The two of them just continue to do one bad thing after another. This leads Runt's parents to send her away to a school so that she will be far from Pig. This does not sit well with Pig as Runt is the only thing in his life. He manages to track her down. You will have to see the film to find out what happens next.

I thought that up to this point the film was good but Enda Walsh's script takes a predictable turn when there might have been other options. Kirsten Sheridan (daughter of Jim and an Oscar nominee for In America) does a nice job of directing her actors and I look forward to seeing what she does next (many years ago I saw a short that she directed at an Irish Film Festival and it was also quite good). Elaine Cassidy is a wonderful young actress (she was in Felicia's Journey and The Others) and I hope that we get see more of her soon. She has an expressive and beautiful face. But it is Cillian Murphy's mesmerizing performance that makes this film especially worthwhile. He manages to capture all of Pig's madness and anxiety. I have seen many of his recent films and I know that he is one of the most talented young actors around. He is very versatile and can be equally scary (Red Eye) and heartbreaking (Breakfast on Pluto). He certainly has a good future ahead of him.

Even though the latter portion of the film is quite predictable the last scene is excellent. I found it a great way to end this film. Check out Disco Pigs if you want to see some of Ireland's best young talent on display.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home