Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, November 04, 2009

DVD Mini Review - Mouchette

Robert Bresson's Mouchette (based on Georges Bernano's novel) is a beautiful but very bleak film. And it is a true classic.

Poor Mouchette (Nadine Nortier) is just fourteen years old and has such a hard life. Her mother is dying. Her father is a drunkard and treats her poorly. She goes to school and has to come home to do all the household chores including taking care of her infant brother. It is not much of a life.

I don't want to say much more about the plot. Mouchette is a short film but a lot is packed into its 81 minutes. Nortier is so good in the film that it is hard to believe that she was not a professional actress. I don't think she ever made another film. The rest of the cast is great too.

Yes, the film is depressing. And there is some animal cruelty that I was upset about. But this is real art cinema and if you like these type of films (as I do) then you must see this film.

Of note: the DVD extras included a trailer for the film directed by Jean Luc Godard. It made the film seem lighter but it was quite interesting to watch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home