Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Sunday, November 01, 2009

The Maid, The Little Traitor and Antichrist (MOD)

Yesterday was a big movie day for me. I saw three films - two in the theater and one on Movies on Demand. I will say a few words about each.

The Maid is Sebastian Silva's excellent character study of Raquel (Catalina Saavedra)a maid who has worked for a family for about 20 years. She is in her early 40s and getting tired. The woman of the house, Pilar (Claudia Celedon), wants to get her another maid to help her out. But she is resistant. During the film three new maids are hired to help her - Merecedes (Mercedes Villanueva), Sonia (Anita Reeves) and Lucy (Mariana Loyola). Different things happen with each new maid.

I was totally riveted throughout the film. To tell you the truth, I was appalled by Raquel's behavior. But my feelings changed as time went on. If this was an American film things would have been different - much less realistic. Saavedra gives an amazing performance as a very troubled woman. She has a most expressive face. I would like to see more of her work. And Silva is a talent to watch. I can't wait to see what he does next. If you can see this in a theater then do so. If not then renting it is a must.

The Little Traitor is a lovely little film directed by Lynn Roth from a short story written by Amos Oz. The story takes place in 1947 in Palestine. This was before Israel became a state. Proffy (Ido Port) lives with his family who came from Poland and very Zionistic. He and his friends hate the occupying British. But things change for Proffy when he meets and befriends Sgt. Dunlop (Alfred Molina). He sees that not all British are bad people.

The film is a coming of age tale but it is more than that. It says a lot about the notions we have about judging other people just because they are Jewish, British, Arab, etc. And we learn a something about history. Molina is very good - as he always is. And the young Port is wonderful and adorable as well. We even get a nice cameo from the legendary Theodore Bikel. This one is worth checking out either in the theater (if you can catch it there) or DVD when it comes out.

What can I say about Lars von Trier's Antichrist. It is beautifully shot by Anthony Dodd Mantle. The acting is great - Willem Dafoe is great and Charlotte Gainsbourg is outstanding (as great as Dafoe is Gainsbourg is even better with the showier role.
But this a very disturbing film and not for every (or even most) tastes.

The Prologue is really something else. Husband and wife are making passionate love. They are so wrapped up in each other that they don't hear their young son leave his crib and fall out of the window. For me that section was the best part of the film. Afterward the woman (neither one have a name) is beyond grief. Her husband is a therapist and tries to help her in a very clinical way. They wind up going to their cabin in the woods and try to heal. However, this is not such a good idea. I won't say more about the plot. I will say that there is a lot of graphic sex - which did not bother me at all. There is a lot of blame being tossed around. And Gainsbourg's woman seems to have major personality problems (to say the least). There is also some very graphic violence and some heavy symbolism. I did not hate this film but I can't say really liked it. It was interesting. As someone who loves cinema I am glad that I saw it. But I cannot recommend it to most people because I don't think that they would go for it. This one is only for a select audience. I have liked some of von Trier's work and he has an amazing way with actresses (Emily Watson, Bjork, Nicole Kidman, Gainsbourg). But there are also things about him that repulse me (killing a donkey while filming Manderlay, The Idiots was so bad that I walked out of the screening - something that I almost never do). What more can I say? He is one strange dude.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I was so much inspired from this movie and i liked the character of Alfred Molina ,who played great role in this movie..I want to a href="http://www.moviewatchlist.com/movie-the_little_traitor"watch the little traitor movie/a again .

8:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home