Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Volver

Volver (which means to return) is the latest film written and directed by Pedro Almodovar. And while I think that it is a wonderful film I do not think that it is his best work. But it certainly may be his most commercial film to date and it is very heartwarming.

Raimunda (a luminous Penelope Cruz) lives a hardscrabble life. She works very hard at any job she can get and her husband Paco (Antonio de la Torre) is a good for nothing type. Raimunda has a teenage daughter Paula (Yohana Cobo) who has issues of her own.

Raimunda's sister Sole (Lola Duenas) runs an illegal beauty salon from her house. She appears to be a very lonely soul. The two sisters share a special bond. They lost both of their parents in a fire several years ago. They, along with the young Paula, visit their elderly Aunt Paula (Chus Lampreave) and notice how her condition is deteriorating. But they also notice how well kept her house is and wonder how she does it. Aunt Paula's neighbor Augustina (Blanco Portillo) is very troubled. Her mother, who was a hippie in her younger years, disappeared three years ago and her only wish is to find out if her mother is still alive.

I've introduced you to most of the main characters in the film but I don't want to say too much more about the plot. There are a number of delicious twists and turns but I don't want to spoil anything. I will say that due to certain circumstances Paco is murdered (that fact has been in all of the reviews). I will also say that the real fun begins when the ghost of the sister 's mother Irene (Carmen Maura) appears and tries to make things right between her and her daughters.

With Volver Almodovar has created a lovely piece of filmmaking. The film is funny and touching but never sentimental. There were several scenes that brought tears to my eyes. The film (at least to me) is about life, death, love and the close bonds between mothers and daughters and also between sisters. Cruz is wonderful and this should lay to rest any talk of her not being able to act (people should check out her other films in Spanish as well as the Italian film Don't Move). And the rest of the women are wonderful as well - especially the sorrowful Portillo.

Almodovar is one of the best directors working today and he certainly is one of the best when it comes to working with women. I hope that he continues to write great parts for women and I wouldn't mind if he decides to make a film in English (although I am sure some of his fans wouldn't like it). Volver isn't as challenging as some of his other films but it is still one of the best films released this year. And while it may not be the best of all foreign films released this year I would say that it is highly probable that it will win the Oscar in that category. I hope that Pedro Almodovar continues to make wonderful films for many years to come. Viva Pedro!

2 Comments:

Blogger Dreamer said...

In my modest opinion, "Volver" is Almodovar´s best movie! VIVA PEDRO!!

11:11 AM  
Blogger Goda said...

I agree wih Picassina. I have been watching many Almodóvar's movies this year, and Volver is the best of them.
Penélope should win the best actress Oscar this year!!!

11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home