Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Friday, November 17, 2006

DVD Review - 49 Up

In 1963 Michael Apted interviewed a group of seven year olds in England. The children came from various backgrounds but they all spoke about their dreams for the future. This documentary was so successful that Apted decided to go back and interview the same kids (now adults) every seven years.

The latest of the "Up" series, 49 Up, had a limited run in theaters last month and has just been released on DVD. Now I must say that I didn't follow this from the beginning. Before 42 Up was released I decided to rent all of the previous episodes and I got hooked. The people we see are regular people but the beauty of the series is that it shows how they have handled life's ups and downs. The series is not so much about certain people's lives as it is about life itself.

There is no reason for me to go into any detail about the people who are part of this extraordinary documentary series. If you have been following the series you probably already know that the latest chapter is now available. If you are reading this and have not seen any of the "Up" series but are interested in it then I suggest you go out and rent 7 Up.

This series shows us what wonderful things cinema can do. We live in an age where celebrity worship is out of control. By documenting the lives of these people Apted and Grenada Television honor the lives of ordinary folks - and that includes the majority of people walking the earth.

In an interview with Roger Ebert that is part of the DVD extras Apted said that, yes, he is planning to do a 56 Up. And I, for one, will certainly look forward to that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home