Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

DVD Review - Cows (Vacas)

Julio Medem makes very interesting films. Some of the ones that I have seen are Lovers of the Arctic Circle and Sex and Lucia (as well as a documentary about the Basque region). This films, Cows, is one of his older ones. But it is one of his that is available on DVD in the US and I was very curious to see it.

The story starts off in the Basque region in 1875. There is a civil war going on. Manuel (Carmelo Gomez) performs an act of cowardice towards his friend Carmelo (Kandido Uranga) which puts their families at odds for many years to come. Both families make do but they always seem to be in competition with each other. The older Manuel (Txema Blasco) passes the time by painting cows. The story goes until 1936, the dawn of World War II, and we have to pay close attention to understand what has happened to the two families (also of note, Gomez and Uranga, among others, play more than one role). It was also nice to see Pilar Bardem in a small role.

All in all, if you like unusual or offbeat world cinema then this film is for you. It certainly was a film for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home