Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, January 27, 2007

DVD Review - Chaos

Coline Serreau's (she wrote and directed it) film Chaos is a melodrama, comedy, thriller and social commentary all rolled into one. The films starts off with a well to do couple named Paul (Vincent Lindon) and Helene (Catherine Frot) driving to a party. A prostitute, Noemie a/k/a/ Malika (Rachida Brakni), is running away from three men who are chasing her. She stops the car and begs for help but Paul and Helene lock the doors. The men beat Noemie and bash her head against the front window of the car. They leave her for dead. Helene wants to call an ambulance but Paul tells her that they shouldn't get involved.

Helene is feeling very guilty and decides to help Noemie heal. Paul doesn't agree with this but he is an uncaring brute. He treats his mother (Line Renaud) with disrespect. And it should be noted that his and Helene's son Fabrice (Aurelien Wilk) treats his mother the same way.

Helene and Noemie form a close bond. They also get close to Paul's mother Mamie. We eventually find out about Noemie's life and how she ended up becoming a prostitute. There are several mini-stories that run throughout the film. But they all basically have the same theme in common - the various ways that men exploit women. But I don't consider this a men-bashing
film. It just points out some facts that need to be stated.

Serreau has a keen eye for direction and her script is very sharp. All of the actors are good but the best one is Brakni. My heart went out to her character right from the start. Chaos is entertaining and involving. I highly recommend that you rent it.

Of note - I understand that Serreau will be directing an American produced English language version of the film which will star Meryl Streep as Helene and Aishwarya Rai as Noemie. Streep is a good actress and I can see her in the role. But I have doubts about Rai. In any case, I think that the remake is totally unnecessary and I hope that the producers change their minds (I highly doubt that they will).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home