Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, December 09, 2006

The Lives of Others

The Lives of Others is Germany's submission to this year's Oscars. And if it doesn't get a nomination in the foreign film category then there is something seriously wrong (it has already won numerous awards in Europe and last week it beat out Volver for Best Picture at the European Film Awards). It opens in the US in February but I was lucky to get an early look at the film.

I am not going to say much about the plot because I think that people shouldn't know too much before they see this film. Here are a few details. The story takes place in East Berlin in 1984. The Stasi (East German Secret Police) are everywhere setting up intricate surveillance systems to spy on people in their homes. That is what the title means - they spy on the lives of others. And the "others" are mainly people who they suspect do not believe in the way things are run in their country. These people are very often free spirits and artistic types.

One writer who is exempt from this wiretapping is Georg Dreyman (Sebastian Koch). Georg lives with his actress girlfriend Christina-Maria Sieland (Martina Gedeck) in a simple, book filled apartment. They both just want to practice their craft without any trouble from the authorities. But Georg also has some friends who have had trouble and are being watched as well as blacklisted. After seeing one of Georg's plays performed on stage Gerd Weisler, who is a fanatic when it comes to spying on "dissidents," suggests to some Stasi higher ups that Georg's apartment should be bugged. And that is all I am going to tell you about this film.

It is hard to believe that this is writer/director Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck's first feature film. It is a masterwork in world cinema. Everything about the film works. The look and feel of East Berlin at that time is so real that you think you are there. The acting is remarkable and the script is outstanding. It is several hours since I have seen this film and I am still thinking about it. And I am sure that this film will stay with me for some time to come ( I will definitely want to own a DVD copy of it). The film brought out a certain type of emotion in me that it is hard to describe. So come February - for those of you who live in the US - make sure that you see this amazing film. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home