Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Thursday, December 14, 2006

Golden Globe Nominations

Here are the Golden Globe nominations in the motion picture category (I didn't include the television category because this blog focuses on film and I don't watch many of the shows that were nominated). Although I haven't seen everything that was nominated I have seen the ten films nominated in the two categories. And although I am quite pleased with some of the nominations I find some of them ludicrous.

I must say that I am very pleased with all of the Babel love because it is one of my favorite films of the year. But I am wondering what Bobby is doing in the Best Drama category. I thought that the film was okay and there were some very good scenes and some fine acting. But as a whole the film didn't come together. Couldn't they find a better film to nominate? Half Nelson anyone?

Best Actress in a Drama is actually good. Maggie Gyllenhaal is a surprise but I have heard that she is great in Sherrybaby. I haven't seen the film but I intend to when it comes out on DVD in January.

Best Actor in a Drama is one of the worst categories. I thought that Leonard DiCaprio gave his best performance in The Departed and I expected him to get nominated. But giving him two nominations is sickening. I didn't see Blood Diamond but no matter how good he is he should not have gotten two nominations in the same category. How about Ryan Gosling in Half Nelson? That was one of the best performances of the year and young Gosling can act circles around both DiCaprio and Will Smith. But his name is nowhere to be found. I am keeping my fingers crossed that either Peter O'Toole or Forest Whitaker win in this category.

In the Best Picture Musical or Comedy I would certainly replace Thank You for Smoking with Prairie Home Companion. That would have been a nice way to honor the memory of the late Robert Altman.

Going to the Best Actor in a Musical or Comedy I hope that Sacha Baron Cohen wins. His acceptance speech will be one of the highlights of the evening. I highly doubt that the good but overrated Johnny Depp will win but this is his fourth nomination in a row. Does that mean he will be nominated again next year for Pirates Part 3? I sure hope not.

In the Best Actress in Musical or Comedy I expect that the wonderful Meryl Streep will win for The Devil Wears Prada. Beyonce Knowles is just okay in Dreamgirls and not worthy of a nomination. But I am not surprised that she got one.

The Foreign Film category is a joke. Yes, both Apocalypto and Letters from Iwo Jima are in a foreign language. But they are not foreign films - they were both made by Americans. This is set up so that Letters will win. It is too bad but remember that this is a popularity contest more than anything else (I haven't yet seen Letters and it might be great but I wouldn't put it or Apocalypto in this category. It just isn't fair).

Supporting Actress is the best category but Supporting Actor leaves something to be desired. Neither Ben Affleck or Mark Wahlberg should have been nominated. I would replace them with Jackie Earl Haley (Little Children), Alan Arkin ( Little Miss Sunshine), or Michael Sheen (The Queen).

The screenplay category is one of my favorites but the director category really burns my ass! Two nominations for Clint Eastwood - doesn't the man have enough awards already? Although I enjoyed Dreamgirls it is not one of my favorites of the year. But how could they not nominate Bill Condon? Why not just anoint Eastwood "Emperor of the Universe" (I am not taking away from his achievements but this does not make any sense).

This list of nominees just proves what star fuckers the Hollywood Foreign Press Association is. Although the Oscar committee certainly has made their share of blunders at least DiCaprio and Eastwood will not be able to get two nominations in the same category leaving a slot open for someone else. And neither Apocalypto nor Letters from Iwo Jima will be eligible for the Foreign Film Oscar. This will leave room for some wonderful films that you may never have heard of to get a nomination.

Finally, I really do hope that Martin Scorsese wins the Best Director award not only at the Globes but at the Oscars as well (the man really deserves it). And then perhaps we will not hear about him, Clint, Johnny and Leo for a little while. I would also add Russell Crowe and Ron Howard to that list. It is time to bring some other people into the forefront of the awards season during the next year or two.

DRAMA
"Babel"
"Bobby"
"The Departed"
"Little Children"
"The Queen"

ACTRESS (DRAMA)
Penelope Cruz - "Volver"
Judi Dench - "Notes on a Scandal"
Maggie Gyllenhaal - "Sherrybaby"
Helen Mirren - "The Queen"
Kate Winslet - "Little Children"

ACTOR (DRAMA)
Leonardo DiCaprio - "Blood Diamond"
Leonardo DiCaprio - "The Departed"
Peter O'Toole - "Venus"
Will Smith - "The Pursuit of Happyness"
Forest Whitaker - "The Last King of Scotland"

MUSICAL OR COMEDY
"Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan"
"The Devil Wears Prada"
"Dreamgirls"
"Little Miss Sunshine"
"Thank You For Smoking"

ACTRESS (MUSICAL OR COMEDY)
Annette Bening - "Running with Scissors
"Toni Collette - "Little Miss Sunshine
"Beyonce Knowles - "Dreamgirls
"Meryl Streep - "The Devil Wears Prada
"Renee Zellweger - "Miss Potter"

ACTOR (MUSICAL OR COMEDY)
Sasha Baron Cohen - "Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan"
Johnny Depp - "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest"
Aaron Eckhart - "Thank You for Smoking"
Chiwetel Ejiofor - "Kinky Boots"
Will Farrell - "Stranger Than Fiction"

FOREIGN-LANGUAGE FILM
"Apocalypto"
"Letters from Iwo Jima"
"The Lives of Others"
"Pan's Labyrinth"
"Volver"

ANIMATED FILM
"Cars"
"Happy Feet"
"Monster House"

SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Adriana Barraza - "Babel"
Cate Blanchett - "Notes on a Scandal"
Emily Blunt - "The Devil Wears Prada
Jennifer Hudson - "Dreamgirls"
Rinko Kikuchi - "Babel"

SUPPORTING ACTOR
Ben Affleck - "Hollywoodland"
Jack Nicholson - "The Departed"
Eddie Murphy - "Dreamgirls"
Brad Pitt - "Babel"
Mark Wahlberg - "The Departed"

DIRECTOR
Clint Eastwood - "Flags of Our Fathers"
Clint Eastwood - "Letters from Iwo Jima"
Stephen Frears - "The Queen"
Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu - "Babel"
Martin Scorcese - "The Departed"

SCREENPLAY
"Babel"
"Little Children"
"Notes on a Scandal"
"The Departed"
"The Queen"

ORIGINAL SCORE"
The Painted Veil"
"The Fountain"
"Babel"
"Nomad"
"The Da Vinci Code"

ORIGINAL SONG
"A Father's Way - "Pursuit of Happyness" - Music by: Seal and Christopher Bruce; Lyrics by: Seal
"Listen" - "Dreamgirls" - Music & Lyrics by: Henry Krieger, Anne Preven, Scott Cutler and Beyoncé Knowles
"Never Gonna Break My Faith" - "Bobby" - Music & Lyrics by: Bryan Adams, Eliot Kennedy and Andrea Remanda
"The Song of the Heart" - "Happy Feet" - Music & Lyrics by: Prince Rogers Nelson
"Try Not to Remember" - "Home of the Brave" - Music & Lyrics by: Sheryl Crow

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home