Movie News and Views

I am launching my new blog Movie News and Views which is dedicated to the love and appreciation of cinema. I will post reviews of films currently playing in theaters, new DVD releases and old favorites. There will be postings on news and information regarding upcoming films. I will also have postings on actors, actresses, directors, etc. that I admire. In the future, when the blog is more established, I hope to post interviews with people who are involved in the filmmaking process.

Name:
Location: United States

Monday, October 09, 2006

DVD Review - Sima the Witch

This film is a sometimes very funny and sometimes silly dark comedy from Israeli director Dror Shaul.

Sima (Tiki Dayan) shares her apartment with her daughter Eti (Sharon Elimelech), her son-in-law Avi (Itzik Cohen) and her grandson Bibi (Tom Gal). Eti would like to move to Tel Aviv but Sima won't hear of it. She proposes that Avi (who is supposedly in the renovation business)
perform an expansion on her apartment so that they would have more room (Eti is pregnant).

Her stuffy neighbor Dov (Lior Ashkenazi) is totally against it. His wife Mazal (Rotem Abuhab) is desperate to become pregnant and he is always too tired to help her out. But he is not too tired to make things bad for Sima and her family.

One day when Sima is playing cards with her friends Julia (Geula Nuni) and Ruth (Zvia Klinburg) she starts telling them about Dov and she lists several curses that she wishes to befall him. And, much to everyone's surprise, they actually happen. When a local paper prints a story on what happens to Dov and his family (and the fact that his wife said that Sima cursed him) people by the dozens beg Sima for help. At first she is reluctant to get involved with this but her family and friends convince her that she could make good money. She agrees to do it but only until she has enough money to pay for the expansion.

However, as time goes on Sima seems to enjoy the limelight and she soon has her own radio show. But a jealous television host named Shpitz (played by director Shaul) wants to prove that she is a phony and he invites her on his show so all can see the truth.

That is all I will tell you about the plot. You will have to see the film to find out how things turn out. Parts of the film are very funny and I found myself laughing out loud many times. Adding to the laughs is Ami Smolartchik as Officer Pinto, a crazy policeman. I would like to see more of this very funny actor in the future. All of the acting is good, with Dayan in particular a standout. I love Israeli cinema but the main reason I was interested in this film was because Ashkenazi is in it. I loved him in Late Marriage and Walk on Water and wanted to see him in another film. Here he is very nerdish and not at all sexy. But I liked seeing him in another type of role.

All in all, I liked this film. Yes, there were parts where I thought that they were going a bit overboard. But there is much more good than bad about the film and I am recommending it those of you who want something to tickle your funny bone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home